Thursday, January 18, 2018

Essential Oils Can Be Toxic To Cats






I just found out on Sunday that essential oils can be harmful to cats. I have been using essential oils diffusers for 2 years. I just got my 2nd 1 for the kitchen & it just happens to be right over my cats food bowl & water. I also had a Wallflower plugged in there too. So right when I heard I unplugged my stuff. I've also been using Mrs. Meyers cleaning products with essential oils. I love the multi-purpose sprays. I have them in Honeysuckle, Lavender & Peppermint. Lavender is really bad for cats. Once I heard about this I went online to find some info.

 The reason these essential oils are more dangerous to cats lies in the physiology of their liver. Cats lack an enzyme (glucuronyl tranferase) that in other animals helps to process and break down certain components of these essential oils. Due to the concentrated nature of essential oils, toxic buildup of these components occurs and can ultimately be fatal.
 I plan on calling my vet to ask about the cats livers. If there is a way they can check them. I'm thinking they'd probably have to do x-rays. I really want to spread the word about this. If you are like me your pets are like your kids.

No comments: