Monday, February 14, 2011

New England Minute

Years ago my Parents & I went to visit my sister in college in VT. I was really young, but I remember having snow with maple syrup on it. It was really good (even though I hate maple syrup) & they served it with pickles on the side. I just recently found this on Disney's family website. I'll have to make this for my daughter someday.


Maple Snow Taffy (or sugar on snow)
By Catherine Newman

Ingredients
1 cup maple syrup (ours is B-grade amber-cheaper and darker-and we love it)
1/4 cup salted butter
clean snow (or, need be, ice cream)

Directions

In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, heat the syrup and butter together until the mixture reaches 220ºF-235ºF on a candy thermometer, aka somewhere between the thread and soft ball stage, for you candy-making hardcores out there. If you don't have a candy thermometer, time it for about 5 minutes after it comes to a boil, and then pour a little onto a plate that's been waiting in the fridge: when the syrup is ready, it should thicken up into a soft taffy on the plate; if it doesn't, then cook it a minute or two longer. Needless to say, your children should be nowhere near this while it's on the stove. "There is nothing hotter than hot sugar," my mother used to say ("Really, Mom? Not even the sun?"), and, because of the crisp English certainty of her pronouncements, I still assume they're all true.
Let the mixture cool for a couple of minutes, then pour it by the spoonful over bowls of clean snow (or ice cream) where it will harden into a sweet lump of maple insanity. You won't be sorry -- well, until it's gone, and then you'll be sorry.

2 comments:

Karli @ The Bonnie 5 said...

WOA! I've never heard of this, and it looks soooo good! I think I'd love it with ice cream - wow; what a great idea! :-)

Anonymous said...

That sounds YUMMY!!!